About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Have Trouble Sleeping?

If there's one thing worse than root canal, it's writing an appellate court brief, especially if you're not used to it. Everything has to be done a certain way, and if it's not, they'll dismiss your case. DA John Morganelli has told me that federal courts have sent his briefs back to him simply because they wanted a different color backer. Chris Spadoni warns me that every section has to be on a new page or the appeal will be dismissed. I'm told that I have to cover the staples with black tape so the judicial fingers are not cut. If I don't do that, the appeal will be dismissed.

I've been spending all my spare time since last week working on a Gracedale brief. I spent the weekend working on that brief. I spent four hours yesterday and six hours today, working on that damn brief. It's nowhere near done, either.

Tonight, I decided to give it a quick read before heading off to Hanover Township for a Board of Supervisors' meeting. It put me to sleep faster than a Mickey. In fact, when I woke up and rushed off to the meeting, forty minutes later, I was too late. Township Manager Jay Finnegan locked me out of the building and laughed at me when I called him. I'm sure those little bastards were plotting an invasion of Bethlehem.

So maybe there is one thing worse than writing an appellate court brief.

Reading it.

But I have to tell you, I feel very refreshed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad your past will not allow you to charge for your time.
But then again that sounded like a itemized bill for Angle.

Anonymous said...

fools rush in...............

Anonymous said...

You might just as well use razor blades instead of staples
CASE DISMISSED
and why are you keeping track of your time, it does sound like your billing someone

Anonymous said...

Angle demands an itemized time sheet before he and Stoffa pay him

Anonymous said...

I feel for you Bernie, I hated Brief writing... so glad I can pass it off to other now

Bucks Barrister said...

I can hardly wait to read it

Anonymous said...

Cha ching!!!! Just another paycheck from Ron.