About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Petition Challenge Filed Against Bethlehem City Council Candidate

As the clock inched closer and closer to 4:30 PM yesterday, reporters descended upon the Prothonotary's office like the salmon of Capistrano. They were there to check on nomination petition challenges, an annual Spring rite had to be filed yesterday.

Apparently, election law lawyers are an endangered species. There were practically no challenges at all. No County Council candidates were challenged. Nothing in the District Judge races in Wilson Borough and Wind Gap, either, despite claims that something was on the way. But there was a challenge against Republican Charlie Tommor, who is one of four Republicans running for three seats on Bethlehem City Council.

The Express Times Sarah "Sassy" Cassi beat everyone to the Tommor challenge, filed by Attorney Brian Monahan. I tried peeking over her shoulder, and all I can say is she has one helluva' back kick. I tried complaining to the ladies in the Prothy's office, but they just laughed at me.

I was already in a real pissy mood, especially after reading that the Council Prez had called me dishonest all over the front pages of The Morning Call. I warned everyone that I'm a miserable bastard and was in no mood for their taunts, and they laughed at me even more.

Time to pull out the voodoo dolls again.

Between Cassi's kicks, I tried to look at Monahan's challenge. I think Tommor had his petitions signed by Democrats and aliens from Nebula, but you're going to have to check out her report.

There was also a challenge in the Easton School Board race, but I don't do school boards.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

anybody except "rubber stamp wee willy" reynolds or "i've been asleep at the wheel for 16 years" donchez

NO SCHOOL TEACHERS active or retired

Anonymous said...

Are both of these Republicans baggers? is this a political purity challenge or just an old fashioned political blood feud?

Anonymous said...

3 of the Republicans are Tea drinkers and Tommor is not. The Tea Drinkers don't want Tommor on the ballot.

Anonymous said...

Tea baggers are typically Democrats. There's nothing wrong with this and it's a victimless predilection, according to Anderson Cooper.

Tea party activists are typically Republican.

That one guy said...

It has been proven that once a person or group loses an argument they resort to name calling and revert to using immature and infantile tactics.

So, someone is getting challenged and they happen to be Republican. From the news story (which I'm certain you didn't even bother to read before spewing elementary school vulgarities) the guy was getting signatures all over God's green Earth.

While I realize that the people who posted above would most likely be perfectly fine with someone running under a flawed petition, Republicans have the intestinal fortitude to challenge their own when the rules aren't followed. Kudos to Mrs. Bees!

Anonymous said...

Martin's petitions are being challenged on the basis that his secretary is the notary and stands to gain financially from being retained under Martin's re-election. Kind of odd challenge, but it is nice to know that our DA is so willing to use county employees for political gain.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I know Sharpe well and have absolutely no respect for him, either as an attorney or as a person. If the news account is accurate and he is the person who filed the challenge, it will be bounced. The only persons who can complain about R nomination petitions are other Rs, and Sharpe is a D operative.

Anonymous said...

So to boil this down to reality. the baggers a re "cleansing" the ticket of a non-bagger.

Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

No, it boils down to the need to file legitimate petitions.

Chris Matthews said...

All this tea bag talk is giving me a warm tingle up my leg. Oh wait. My doctor said I have a growing problem.

ACORN taught us that the end justifies the means.

Anonymous said...

In a local-race year like this, there are lots of good, responsible people who spend a great deal of time collecting petition signatures one by one the RIGHT way, paying attention to the rules of democracy. Those citizens who disregard the rules and present blatantly flawed petitions should not go unchallenged. History shows that those who run good, solid, legitimate campaigns turn out to be our best elected officials. I’m glad the Republicans are willing to police themselves and challenge those among them who can’t play by the rules.

The other guy said...

Is it just me or is 2:49AM and 11:30AM starting to sound a lot like Rubberstamp Reynolds. I can almost hear the "I'm Willie 'f**king' Reynolds" or "I have a hot girlfriend" in those comments.

Anonymous said...

I have heard of gangbanger on gangbanger violence but this politcal teabagger on teabagger violence is a different take on things.

I guess if your political philosophy is slightly left of Neanderthal, you are not pure enough for the bagger brigade.

Who knew?

And then he said...

8:39pm sounds like Jim Schlener

Anonymous said...

I loved the picture Bernie used. It was funny seeing the clown kicking the dude in the teabags.

What is with you baggers anyway. i mean you have LOG cabin Republicans and baggers, keeping it in the family.

That one guy said...

It has been proven that once a person or group loses an argument they resort to name calling and revert to using immature and infantile tactics.

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with where anyone chooses to put their log. It is a free country and that is a personal decision.