About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fr. Alex' First Sermon

Father Alex, ordained on Saturday, has sent me the homily he delivered yesterday in his first celebration of Mass at Easton's Our Lady of Lebanon. Though his message is intended for Christians, members of other religious faiths, even you bastard Druids, will probably chuckle when Alex refers to the Apostles as boneheads.

Alex discuses "The Great Commission," under which Jesus exhorts his followers to spread his message. And they have, although I doubt that the Holy Crusades or any number of other atrocities are quite what Christ had in mind.

My Rector, Monsignor Beggiani can attest this. For the past two months, I have written 32 different homilies for today. I would write them, read them, rip them up, throw them away, and write a completely different homily. Late last night, I ripped up the homily that I was going to give today. And within 20 minutes I wrote this homily. I apologize if it rambles, because for the past week, I have not been sleeping properly; in fact I haven’t slept at all within the past week. So some time during this homily, I will get emotional; therefore please do not get scared or upset. And I will try my best to regain my composure. When that happens, just please be patient and give me some time to get back on track. Lastly, as you can see, I was ordained yesterday in a set of blue, white, and silver vestments. As I stand before you today, I would like to thank the members of the Holy Name Society and the St. Theresa Solidarity, because I am wearing a completely new set of vestments. These beautiful vestments that I am currently wearing were gifted to me by those organizations. Thank you!

If you have heard me preach before, I tend to have a certain style when it comes to anything regarding the Apostles. I like to refer to them as the “motley crew” that are dumb, do stupid things, and ask boneheaded questions. So when I became judgmental against someone, I like to view things from their perspective. Thus, I ask you to place yourself in their shoes. In today’s Gospel account we heard that there were 11 disciples and when it came time to pay homage to Jesus, some worshiped him, but some were hesitant and doubted.

After knowing what you do from the benefit of 2,000 years of history of Christ, I ask you again to put yourself in the shoes of the Apostles. Given their circumstances, what would you do in this Gospel situation? Would you do better or worse than the Apostles?

Jesus was with them and revealed the central point to all Mysteries/Sacraments/Salvation/Life: The Most Holy Trinity. Yet some Apostles were doubters/hesitant; they didn’t worship after seeing all the good He did, knowing that He died, and seeing Him alive again. They were BONEHEADS!!!

Now let us fast forward to present day time. If we truly believe in Christ, that He is the plan of the Most Holy Trinity, He is truly present in the life giving Mystery of the Eucharist (which is in repose in the Tabernacle, presently); then why do we do some of the things we do?

(Again I state, when I reflect on things of judgmental nature, I am placing myself in this experience. I am preaching to myself.) But we have an American idiom, “If the shoe fits, wear it!” So why do I do some of the stupid things I do – such as: treat people like objects, pass judgment, gossip, hold grudges, and not talk to people? And to make matters worse, sometimes I pass judgment onto myself by knowing I am in a state of sin but continue to receive Christ in Communion without going to confession prior to receiving the Mystery?

I believe it is for the same stupid, dumb, and boneheaded reasons that the Apostles did the same thing. They didn’t know Jesus especially in the plan of what is revealed to us in today’s Gospel: The Most Holy Trinity. In the Gospel, some Apostles didn’t worship Jesus because the “doubted.” In Greek, the original language of this Gospel, “doubt” can also translate to “hesitant.” And what do those words mean? 1-little faith, 2-lack of knowledge. --- They were spiritually poor. That kind of sounds like me (and if the shoe fits …)

In our Hoosoyo (the main part of the Catechesis of a text), actually the Hoosoyoi from today’s Divine Liturgy and the Divine Office (a ritual that the priests pray daily, several times a day) an emphasis is placed upon our limited ability to actually know and effectually describe the infinite and limitless Trinity with finite and limited terminology.

Our Divine Liturgy, Divine Office, and numerous prayers are replete with our devotion, adoration, and worship to the Most Holy Trinity. And our worship shows us our faith.

Even though such things are beyond our understanding, we do not rest in such ignorance. Our knowledge of the Trinity is gained in a completely different fashion, in one of a relationship. As Matthew writes earlier in the Gospel (Matthew 7:7), “… seek and you will find.”

To know something --- one must have a relational experience. As an example, I know that I like my friend. I may not know everything about him/her, but I enjoy spending time with him/her even if it is just sitting with him/her in silence. (JUST LIKE WE SIT WITH THE LORD IN EUCHARISTIC ADORATION.)

God knows us and He knows us better than we know ourselves. God provides for us and we need not worry because we are special to Him. He made the birds and you don’t see them falling out of the air for lack of want? In this Gospel Jesus gives us the assurance that, “I am with you always, even to the end of time.” Just like a true friend would.

We are given the tools and the order of how to go about living one’s life well as a Christian in this Gospel. This passage is the most exciting!!! This is graduation day for the 11 disciples. (Remember Judas, he was the 12th Disciple. He betrayed Jesus and committed suicide. Let us never lose one to disbelief like Judas was lost.) This is what is called The Great Commission. The Disciples were charged with their duties and sent out to do the work of the Most Holy Trinity. For you, this is an explanation to lead by example of your Christian values by being a witness, living as an example for others. And for me? Well, it is a reminder of my rebirth, as a priest in a Holy and Sacred Order. It is a reminder of my duties and the joy of my ordination – my graduation – my Great Commission.

We should take from this Gospel that we are given such tools and we must act upon them just as today’s Epistle reading from the Apostle Paul states, “For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.” We have certain standards and expectations that we must live up to. And we should not waste our gifts or delay one moment putting them into use.

The Apostles had hesitations/doubts about Jesus even though they walked with him. Their doubts and psychological experiences speak volumes to what was going on then, as exactly as to what is going on today --- for me (and if the shoe fits …)

They were taught very well and had the best teacher, JESUS! They knew what to do, but they were scared to go out into unfamiliar territory. Are you too scared, doubtful, hesitant, dumb, stupid, or boneheaded? Are you spiritually poor? Do you struggle with life, praying, and doing the right thing? YES? Then that is good.

When you think you know it all, you really don’t. That is when you need to buckle down and pray the most to get your life back in order. God allows us to struggle, even the slightest bit, according to our needs, so we might get to know Him better. And at the very least, if you are aware of your struggles, that means you have a conscience and you are at least trying to do the right thing. With prayer, we hopefully will grow to holiness. The Beatitudes speak about the humble and the spiritually poor --- theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

If that motley crew of dumb, stupid, doubtful, hesitant, and boneheaded Apostles (which consisted of fishermen, tax collector, and everyday people) can do well, so can you and God willing/Inshallah, with much prayer and a lot of good works, so can I.

I thank you for bearing with me and ask you to continue to keep the Church and vocations in your prayers; not only for an increase in vocations but for guys (and gals) like me to become good and faithful servants.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and forever. AMEN!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you get a chance, Mike Molovinsky at his blog has a nice post dedicated to Father Alex. Check it out.

Unknown said...

That's a really good sermon. Those last couple of paragraphs are motivating.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Father Rich.

Anonymous said...

Father Alex has always come across as wise and kind when blogging, hope the Maronite Church has him in service for at least a few decades

TeaPartyFootSoldier

Anonymous said...

Do you think he really wrote this? He never really did appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Blog Mentor, Time for you to return to rolling around on the floor, foaming at the mouth.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this man could help someone like me?8

Anonymous said...

Seriously you coward I would show this man a trick or two. Mind your own business or come down and show yourselves. You know where you can find me.8

Anonymous said...

That poor bastard at his hate blog is making fun of Father Alex. Boy if he only knew. He couldn't even buy a clue because he is filled with hate. His hatred has blinded him. I kind of feel bad and pity for the old sap. The Blog Mentor's good looks and mind are leaving him. And now no one takes him seriously. He is down to picking on priests. What a sorry life one leads ...

michael molovinsky said...

@5:37, in addition to tormenting alex, he also alludes elsewhere on his blog about having elbowed him in the stomach, several years ago.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The Lebanese take the Blog Mentor seriously, and he will find that out.